After self isolating for the past 2 weeks, I have been working through my supplies of bread, milk, eggs, meat and vegetables. This morning the bread I thought I had for breakfast was stale. So what am I to do? Grocery stores are now shut on Sundays. I have no yeast, so I did some research and found some breakfast breads that dont require yeast, however I only liked bits of a couple recipes so here is what I created
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
150g white sugar
115g butter, softened
grated rind of orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
90ml orange juice
50g chopped walnuts or pecans
90g dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced), and lightly grease a large loaf pan or a 23cm round cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together, flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat together sugar, butter, orange rind, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture, alternatively with buttermilk and orange juice, beat until just blended after each addition.
4. Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
5. Line base of pan with baking paper
6. Pour the batter into the pan.
7. Bake for 45 – 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes clear.
8. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 – 10mins before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
If you like what you have read, don’t forget to like and follow me to find out more about my travels, food, books etc both recent and past. Looking forward to continuing to share.
#orangecranberrybread #zerotohero #yeastfree #socialisolating